Search This Blog

Friday 11 May 2012

Smudge it baby – smudge it!!


Smudge it baby – smudge it!!
By Lee-Anne Peters

Every few weeks I send a smudging wave around my facebook pages, and every time I do this someone asks me HOW they can smudge... so, I felt that it is a perfect moment to expand on this. I am not claiming to be any expert, everything I share here and everywhere is based on my experience, so just take on board what does feel right and let the rest go.

A sage smudge stick!
Smudging can be used for an individual, room or object. It is simply using the intention of removing negative or unwanted energies that may be held within that person, room or thing. It really is all about intention, so it’s that intention that you have to clear and cleanse that will be your best asset when it comes to smudging. Just like when we have a shower to cleanse our physical body, the smudging is used to help cleanse more etheric / auric / unseen levels.

What to use for smudging: There are endless things you can use to smudge negative / unwanted energy. You can use; a smudge stick, incense, feather, leaf, hand, crystal, musical instrument etc. You do not HAVE to use something that produces smoke – it’s the intention that’s important NOT what you use.

Smudging for Individuals: Whatever tool you want to use for smudging hold it in your hand, and then take a nice deep breath – when you are ready move that tool (or the smoke) over your aura –sweeping it through and intending all unwanted / negative energy to leave immediately. 

Smudging for Rooms (or the home/office): Gather your smudging tool and make your way across every wall, and also covering from the ground to the ceiling - if you cant reach an area, then just imagine that it is extending into that part. Make sure you focus on every corner and places behind furniture that don't get much physical traffic – the energy can be a little stagnant here. I also like to seal the doors and large windows with cross (just to symbolise protection – not for any religious meaning) and ask that only LOVE enter here. These room / house smudges are great to do when you move to a new house / office, there have been negative people in the house or people in the house haven’t been well.

Smudging an object: There can be a vast amount of reasons WHY you may need to smudge an object – maybe a new crystal, or one you have been using for a while, maybe you received a gift from someone that is a little energetically heavy etc... Hold the object in your hand and use the other hand with the smudging tool to cleanse it. Sweep over the whole area if you can - just out from touching it. If you cant pick the object up, then just do it where it is – that will be fine.

So next time you feel clogged up with unwanted energy, or when a room in your home or office feels flat or an old ornament feels strange – grab out the smudging tool you want to use and give it a good energetic clean out! Hold clear intentions and KNOW that what you are doing is productive for you and people around you!



Lee-Anne Peters is an author, artist, mentor, speaker and radio host. Lee-Anne is passionate about helping you love and accept who you are, while following your passions for life! You can learn more about Lee-Anne at www.templeofbalance.com
 
Order your smudge stick & Tasmanian collected Abalone Shell on our website at http://www.templeofbalance.com/shopother.html



Let's connect on:
 

20 comments:

  1. smudging this afternoon and myself <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished smudging my new place and I can feel the difference already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are the items that are burnt? is there other things beside sage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is... any incense that you like works... get creative and you certainly dont have to limit yourself to just sage...
      I trust that helps.... oh, and you can also use sound, feather, leaf or just your hand... <3 Hold the intention and the tool will find you xx Lee-Anne

      Delete
  4. Let me get physical: The Bible speaks of "Angels of the Air." Those angels can be bacteria, yeasts, spores or odors. I suppose viruses, too, but I cannot testify to that. Smudging w sage is quite effective in clearing most of these 'angels' out. Technically. A 'real' smudging with something as toxic as cedar requires sealing off the house, smudging until smoke is leaking out of pinholes, then waiting (somewhere else) for 24 hours. Cedar smells great but is toxic enough to scour a place. If you clear the smoke then smudge lightly with sweetgrass, you can induce good spirits to enter the home. But, as you say, INTENTION is crucial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God my Angels are all good.

      Delete
  5. When I blow a candle out I like to pass one of my crystals through the smoke for a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is smudging with sage safe for dogs and budgies as I have these in my home but I have never used sage before.
    Regards Fran :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran - if you're concerned perhaps open windows / doors or try a smudge stick that is not to 'heavy' in smoke - like an incense. Lee-Anne x

      Delete
  7. How can I pin this to Pinterest? Thank you in advance.. ps, I'd love to share this with a bigger audience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - there is a pinterest share button above. x Lee-Anne

      Delete
  8. Good article and very interesant Liked a lot !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love smudging regularly to make sure that my home and office remain sacred spaces. To be on the safe side, I also burn camphor in a receptacle, especially if there has been a visitor to the house to ensure that no negativity residual is left if I sense negativity. The black soot that accumulates is all that is left. Thanks for the tips, LeeAnne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there reading your Facebook said read blog so here i am amazingly in joy ur readings and blogs. Could please ask question with smudging as beenntold in past we need say out loud prayer or ritual. What do u say while removing toxic negative energy around ur home as for instant I've had a lot trauma and tramic stuff going on that caused me be very scared living here as well as scared my daughter etc but need get rid bad I'll feelings as I believe as mum I need keep giving her chances but what doneneed recleanse. Thanks hope hear bak soon as love do today as we in nz time zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there.... to reinforce your intention and the smudging you could say something like (and please modify so it feels right for you): Clear all negative energies, entities, cords, hooks and attacks from your space, and you can also send it through to those in your care or close to you.
      For example, I imagine it surrounding my children, husband, all vehicles and places any of us are. Then I trust it is so.
      I usually simply KNOW we are protected now, however have just been doing some extra reinforcement.
      I trust this helps, Lee-Anne

      Delete
  11. Could sandalwood incense be used for smudging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee - I dont see why not. If you enjoy the fragrance - then it is mainly your intention that is important, Lee-Anne

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee-Anne, I have a question. I recently had a friend here that noticed my smudging kit. (sage stick, clay dish, feather) she remarked that " If you smudge to often, you could be inviting negativity in. When I smudge, my intent and my words are to remove negativity so it was perplexing to here that. What do you think about what she said?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eucalyptus oil in an oilburner with sweetgrass smudge okay???? Have a bearded dragon and her respiratory system cannot handle my regular sage and sweetgrass smudging. I use grey owl feather, and barn owl feather to smudge.

    ReplyDelete